In a world where relocating for job opportunities is becoming more common, it’s easier for employers to do phone interviews vs traditional face-to-face interviews.
We have come up with several tips that we find helpful for jobseekers to really nail their next phone interview.
Interview preparation is key:
- Dress for success – dress for the job you want not the one you have got – yes, even for phone interviews!
- Check the organisation’s website and their values and mission and mention them in conversation during the interview.
- Questions are usually formed from the selection criteria, so reflect on all of the selection criteria in relation to your knowledge and experience.
- When talking about your strengths imagine that you are speaking highly about a fellow colleague instead of yourself to calm the nerves. People often find it easier to sell their strengths this way. If in doubt ask your previous manager or colleague for feedback on your strengths.
- When given a scenario, make sure you thoroughly talk about the situation, outcome and what you have learned.
- If you are unsure about a silence on the phone or whether you’re on the right track, don’t be afraid to ask “am I on track here?” or “would you like me to expand further?”
- Look at what you bring to a team – provide specific examples of what your personal strengths are in the team e.g. “I am the one who really advocates for young people” or “I am excellent at managing multiple tasks and assisting my team members”
- Have 2-3 questions to ask the panel about the role you are being interviewed for.
- Thank them for their time and express your interest in the role at the end.
The beauty of a phone interview is that you can have your notes and CV in front of you, along with anything else that helps you stay grounded e.g. cup of tea and positive affirmations around you. Dressing for success is key in any interview as it put you in the right frame of mind and sets the tone for the interview.
If you follow the above steps, you will be sure to secure a new job in no time!
Need help finding a new job in Social Work or Health Care? Get in touch with our team today. Contact us.